Jul 10, 2007

Spending Habits of the Weak

In my attempt to determine where my money disappears to, I've sought out the aid of online personal finance tracking sites. Those of you who have been following my blog know that I enjoyed the ease of getting my finance info up to the Geezeo site. I've actually had a bit of trouble with signing in to the site lately (I'm pretty sure I'm using the right password, but then even when I try to reset the password it doesn't work.) In any case, given that I have little patience and quickly got fed up with typing in my June spending into Excel, I signed in to my Wesabe account and updated my info so I could track my spending...

Geez. I spent a lot last month. I knew I was spending more than I made, but it's kind of painful to see how grossly I burst past my invisible budget. I spent $3559 in June. But I only made $2273 for the month. Actually, come to think of it that's all inaccurate because I deposited my final paycheck (which I received June 30) sometime in July. So right now my July earnings are noted as $2466, but really that money was earned in June, and half of the money counted in my June income was really my May paycheck. Plus, some of that money was the $450 my friend paid me to live in my apartment for the month. Oy, my income is much harder to track than my expenses.

I do need to start keeping tabs on my income. While I'll be making more money at my full-time gig (when I start in a week), what I really need to do is track the money I make working the small freelance gigs I pick up on the side. Whether that's doing some copy writing for my uncle's digital marketing company, or designing a basic website for a friend who offers to pay something for the work... I really need to figure out how much per month I'm making on outside projects. Why? Well, it's difficult to figure out a budget when these extra projects become a consistent portion of one's income. When I was making about $2000 a month after taxes this year, the extra $100 a month I made on copy writing for my uncle was really a huge bonus. But then one of the companies that I did work for (through him) decided they no longer wanted him to put together a monthly newsletter, so I was then out $50 a month. Considering how much I spend, that $50 isn't worth that much, but it's also worth a lot. That $50 covered one voice lesson and a cheese plate at Starbucks.

My general theory on spending (albeit an irresponsible one) was that if I spent slightly more than what I was making at $35k a year, when I received a raise or managed to land a job with a higher paycheck, I'd be able to live comfortably at a slightly higher salary. After all, I don't overspend EVERY month. Just most months. But only by about $600 to $1000. I don't think I'm the type who will start spending more just because I'm making more. Sure my rent went up $145 a month (ouch), and I might splurge on nice clothes and paying for a nice dinner with the bf more often, but overall I think my spending habits will remain constant.

One thing I'd like to spend money on... if I had more money... would be travel. I'd love to take a real adult vacation, like to Hawaii or someplace like that. Thus far my only travel during my full-time work years has been back home to New Jersey. And up until now, my parents have chipped in for my plane ticket back east. But that doesn't really count as a vacation, despite the high cost of that ticket. Going home is something that I just have to do every once in a while, but it's not a relaxing getaway.

Since my bf doesn't work, I'd really love to be able to afford to take us both to Hawaii, or maybe Seattle, or even to some random small ocean-side town in Southern California. I'd love to be able to splurge on a massage every once in a while, or just while on vacation. A massage and a facial. And maybe one of those fancy foot scrubs. And then there's the laser hair removal and teeth whitening that I want to be saving my pennies for.

So... there's plenty of things I could spend any extra income on, surely. Would I actually spend it? I'm not so sure. I'm not a huge saver, but I've never been good about spending money on big purchase items that I actually really want. Like that laser hair removal. I have this syndrome called PCOS and one of the lovely symptoms of the disorder is having excess facial hair. I don't have a full-grown beard or anything, but I do spend a ridiculous amount of time tweezing random hairs out of my chin line and sideburns. God, what's I'd give to permanently get rid of those hairs! Would I give $1500, or whatever the cost is these days for permanent (and painful) hair removal? Possibly. I'm afraid if I did that and it worked, I'd be addicted. I'd have to get my legs and armpits done, and my belly and back. I'd give anything to be hair free in the places where hair oughtn't be.

Anyway, what makes me sad about my spending habits is knowing that I can go and spend $700 on clothes and makeup in one month, but I'd never really consider spending that much money on laser hair removal at this point in my life. Even though obviously it's one of those things that I really want. I think I need to go to spending school. I need to get my financial priorities straight. I'm not sure where laser hair removal would fall into these priorities (after all, the treatment would be a luxury for sure, but in a way it's a medical expense because it's not like I can live a normal life with a thousand hairs growing out of my chin). Too bad my health insurance doesn't care about that.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Every Cent,

Sorry to here you're having trouble logging in. Shoot me a note at pglyman[at]geezeo[dot]com. I'm sure we can get you squared away. -Pete

Anonymous said...

I'm not being nosy, but curious. If you were making $35K before, what is your new salary at your new job? $45K?

Addy said...

About the laser hair removal... you might be pleasantly surprised by how little it can cost these days. I was going to once place that was $150/hour-long session. You'd only need about half that long to do your face. And this particular place let me pay per session, so I was only out $150/month. You should try shopping around. I'll admit that was a great deal, but I've definitely seen things that were almost as good. The only downside is you're not allowed to pluck while getting treatments. It's shaving only, which can make it a difficult option for face. Works great for underarms and legs and all those other areas you're shaving anyway, though...
I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Anonymous said...

I'd encourage you to go for the laser hair removal, as it'll be a one time shot, and then you can go back to spending with less "nagging" in the back of your brain that you "should" be spending the money on laser hair removal! :-)

Anonymous said...

I know you are treading a thin line here. When I was in my 20's I had a smiliar philosphy to you. For me it was the small expenses that made me spend a little more than I earned each month. If you can find a way just to stay even almost each and every month, it will help you out so much later on.

Post a Comment