Oct 11, 2007

Over and Done and on to the Next

I apologize for taking forever to update this blog. Life has been a wee bit crazy as of late, but despite all of the chaos I think in the long run all that has gone down will be for the better. In short, at the moment I am unemployed. Basically, I quit my job, although of course it wasn't nearly that simple. In the brief hour or so I had to decide between forced resignation and firing, I chose the former. I'm still not sure if that was the right decision given that I cut myself off from unemployment benefits, but given that the parting was amicable, it seemed in my best interest to keep things that way and not have to force my boss to fire me.

Anyway, it seems like I'm back to square one. Funny that. I spent a year and three months building up my career and I really had gotten far. Too far, to be honest. I just jumped way ahead of my capabilities at this point in my career and experience. My boss even commented in our closing conversation that I'm really good at what I do, I just need more time to nurture my skills in a more stable journalism environment, preferably at a magazine. I'm not really such such a job exists these days, nor am I sure I'd want it if miracle of miracles it was offered to me. Right now I'm going through a massive re-evaluation of my career plans and goals. I'm really interested in pursuing web design and copy writing, but I'm not sure what kind of openings there would be in those areas for someone with my particular background.

For the time being, I'm doing some freelance web and writing work, and I'm going to take a trip to the local temp agency to try to land some short-term gigs until I figure this all out. I'm a wee bit nervous about the whole health insurance situation -- I'm insured until the end of the month on my current policy and then it's either dealing with expensive Cobra coverage or trying to figure out if the alternatives are any cheaper. The whole situation isn't very good given that I'm finally on medication to treat my depression and, well, I might not be able to obtain insurance that will help pay for the condition. Ugh. It's fine, though, I've been through worse times before. To be honest, I kind of feel relieved right now. I know that I did my best and it just wasn't the right job for me at this time. Being unemployed sucks, but hopefully I won't be job-less for long.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, SF! Best wishes for something better soon.

Janet said...

I hope things improve! You're young and there's still plenty of time to hone your journalism career/skills.

I was in a very similar position two years ago between being fired or resigning, and at least with resigning you did it on your own terms which doesn't make you feel so awful. Keep writing and try to set goals (mini ones) on tackling the challenges in journalism/writing. It took me over a year to figure out how to write a basic news story, let alone a feature! It takes some time but you'll figure it out soon enough!

Good luck!

Post a Comment