Apr 22, 2008

Travel Light, or Pay the Price

Airlines are in pretty big trouble these days, financially speaking, and that means customers are getting hit with high fees all around. Besides the rising cost of ticket prices, airlines are finding other ways to make a quick buck from their passengers. I can't believe the latest one that I just read!

Checking two bags, under 50lbs each, used to be "free" with the price of a ticket. That seemed rather reasonable and fair, given that some folks traveling on flights are moving or traveling for longer than a short stay.

That free luxury is no more - at least once May 5 rolls around.

Want to check more than one bag? You'll have to pay $25 to check that second bag. Yes, even if it's under 50lbs. If it's more than 50lbs, then you're stuck with ANOTHER $100 in fees.

MSNBC breaks it down as follows:

"These fees are in addition to those for excess, oversized and overweight bags, so a passenger traveling on United, for example, with three checked bags weighing 50 pounds or less will be charged $25 for the second but $100 for the third.

But if any of the three bags tips the scale at 51 pounds or more, overweight charges of an additional $100 per bag, each way, kick in. So unless otherwise exempt, a passenger flying round-trip on United with three bags weighing just a pound over the 50-pound limit would be charged $200 for the first ($100 overweight fee each way), $250 for the second (second bag fee of $25 times two plus overweight fee of $100 times two), and $400 for the third (a $100 third bag fee times two plus a $100 overweight fee times two), for a total — fasten your seat belts — of $850."



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gross! I hate this, so I guess it's good that I pack light?

Anonymous said...

That stinks. Fortunately for me, I only do carry ons.

Best Wishes,
D4L

Unknown said...

Right now, I am only seeing this "trend" on the major carriers, those are the ones in the most financial trouble. The smaller, regional carriers have not followed suit so I am not sure if it is because they are more profitable or not.

I use the regional carriers all the time and have not heard of any change in policy yet. AirTran does charge a fee if you are over the weight limit but they also have discount tickets.

I recently purchased a round trip for 133 dollars including tax and fees and no surcharges for a trip next month. It pays to shop around and read the fine prints.

Dana Seilhan said...

Wow. I knew there was some reason I wanted to take Amtrak from now on. Granted, it's slower... but...

Post a Comment