Apr 27, 2009

When to Get My Hair Cut

My hair is growing. It's longer than it has ever been (as in, my mom never let it get this long as a kid with my trim every 6 weeks, so I just assumed it couldn't grow past my shoulders). I like having it long, my boyfriend likes it long, but at some point it needs to be cut. I can't figure out if I'm imagining these dead ends or not, but I'm getting to the point where I want to go get my $60 hair cut and be done with it.

Last time I posted about hair cutting costs - The Cost of Having Pretty Hair, I got quite a bit of feedback. Everyone debated whether that six week trim was worth it. For me, I tend to do a 20ish week trim. I try to get my overpriced hair cut twice a year to keep my mane in check. As a professional woman, I wonder if that is enough. Or do I look dowdy?

Given that my goal is to save $20k this year, every cent does count. If I can pick up a few more side projects I could offset the cost of a hair cut, easy. But I'm still already behind in my $20k quest. Makes me want to shave off my hair entirely.

So, ladies, how often is too long to go without a hair cut?



4 comments:

corrin said...

I'm a every six weeks kind of girl, but my haircuts are free from a friend, so it's not a money issue.

Megan said...

Depends on your hairstyle. My hair's long and curly, so I get it cut about 3-4 times a year. But I also don't use heat on it, so my ends stay nice for a long time.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I forget to even head to the hairdresser and luckily my hair is low maintenance.. so for me, 6 months is the max. :)

Slinky said...

Totally depends on the hairstyle I have. With short cuts, the 6 week trim is totally worth it and needed. Mid length cuts I tend to go a bit longer between cuts, only going when the cut loses it's shape or looks straggly - maybe every 12 weeks? When it's long I only go when the ends are looking bad or I want a few layers or something - maybe twice a year? If your ends are bad, get them trimmed. If they look fine, let it go.

Post a Comment