Mar 26, 2010

Honesty is a Good Thing...

I was checking my bank account this week when I noticed a good chunk of extra income from my last employer. While it was tempting to not notify them about this accidental bonus, I knew it was the right thing to do. Besides, they'd probably figure it out eventually and then it would be a bigger mess than it's worth. I admit, I was hoping they'd tell me to just keep it and thanks for being honest (it's not like I asked for the extra funds, they just appeared in my account, heh) but I figured they'd want their money back. And rightly so. Oh well, I was kind of excited to think maybe somehow my severance hadn't been paid in full and I was owed more money, but my bank account will say so-long to the extra half-month's income. Luckily I'm doing fine this month, even without my unemployment checks (I have not figured out how to get my unemployment checks so I've kind of given up at that since I have a new job starting Mon and figure California needs the money more than I do right about now.)



2 comments:

me in millions said...

The same thing happened to my sister. They kept paying her even though she had finished her job. It was a pain in the ass for her to deal with it and it wasn't even her fault!

Anna said...

I once received an extra monthly salary and faced that temptation too... but honesty feels better than the extra money I'd have to worry about. :)

Post a Comment