Apr 8, 2010

Need Advice: Car "Collision," Deductibles, Insurance

My car luck is really not doing so great lately. It's a long story, which I'll tell below, but the main question I have is -- should I go through insurance to get the damages fixed, should I even both getting the damages fixed, and is it too late to decide not to go through insurance?

Here's the story.

My first day of work I left my car at the public transportation garage. Returned to my car, the back window was smashed (it's a small window that doesn't open because it's a 2 door) and the passenger seat door was busted.

Called insurance to file a claim about the break in. Nothing was stolen but would need to get window fixed and car seat fixed if possible. Have $0 deductible for comprehensive so figured it was worth it.

Fast forward a week. To today. I'm driving out of a parking lot making a right-hand turn. I don't see anything to my right so I start to turn very slowly. I hear some scraping noise so I immediate stop my car and back up slowly. My passenger side mirror looks fine, it's not hitting anything, so I figure I will back up and then examine the damage...

Instead -- "BOOM" -- my large passenger side window shatters. A louder scraping noise is heard. I stop the car, get out, and see that a pipe has cut a huge gash into the door and basically made the door a wall (the handle doesn't work / it won't open) and glass is everywhere.

I look at the window in shock, then drive back into the parking lot and promptly call my insurance. Which was maybe a really bad idea. I told them exactly what happened... then they told me that this would be a collision claim and I have a $1,000 collision deductible. I've never filed a collision claim and I know I pay a lot in comprehensive so that if damage happens to my car that isn't an accident I'm covered. I've had a few break-ins in the past and they've all been covered at 100%. Even hitting a deer and the damage from that was covered entirely. This, however, would have a $1000 deductible.

So I stopped and said, well, I think the front window had a crack in it from the break in. Ok, so it was a stretch. But I figured at that point it was worth trying to get this covered under my comprehensive policy. Even if they would just fix the windows for me under the comprehensive and I could leave the car door as is. The woman on the other line said that she'd add a note about this to the other claim. I am not clear if she opened a collision claim but it sounds like she maybe just tacked on the report to the comprehensive claim. I'm supposed to get an appraisal tomorrow from a place my insurance company referred me to.

Now the questions I have are...

1) Does it make sense to get my car fixed at all through insurance?

2) Should I just get the break-in damage repaired and not get anything repaired through insurance that was caused by this pipe?

3) Should I get everything appraised and wait to hear if they will cover it all under comprehensive (they won't... not with the giant gash in my car door) and then figure out what to do?

4) Should I just say f'it and buy a new (used) car? I bought my car in 2005 with 130k miles on it for $7k. It's the first car I ever owned so it has its share of new-driver dings on it, not counting today's giant gash. It now has 170k miles on it so I can't imagine it will last that much longer. It's a Toyota so maybe it will last to 200k, so I could see it lasting another 3-4 years if I'm lucky, or longer if I don't drive it that much. Blue book trade-in value for the car in "Fair" condition is something like $1500. I am not sure what condition the car is in right now... looks-wise I'd say it's in pretty "poor" condition but the insides are doing fine. It's definitely not driving quite as smoothly as it did when I first got it in 2005, but it is a nicer drive than some other cars I've been in. Would it make sense to donate my car to charity (or trade it in at a toyota dealership for the pennies they are willing to pay me) and move on with my life? Ignore all the claim filing and just start fresh?

5) Should I get rid of the car (charity or trade-in) and not have a car at all? In reality, this doesn't make sense right now because I live in the 'burbs on top of a giant hill and it's pretty impossible to get around without a car. I'm sure it's do-able, but it would be very difficult. And my commute to work with a car is already 1 hour.

6) But... should I get rid of my car and move to the city? I really like my current apartment... it's cheap ($700 a month with utilities about), in a really beautiful area, my roommates are mellow and we get along fairly well, my room, while small, faces greenery and all-in-all my place makes me happy. It feels like a home. Any place I get in the city will be more money, or smaller, or in a worse neighborhood, or all of the above. I could just move closer to a train stop so I could walk to the train... which provides a lot more options... but that still requires moving, and finding a place I like, and finding roommates I can get along with, or living alone, which I've decided I don't really like doing, and costs a lot on the utilities front. But if I move some place near public transit I could get rid of my car and just not have to deal with the hassle of owning one.

7) Or should I just go to a car shop and get everything fixed myself, even if it costs a lot, and just eat the costs of getting the fixes done without going through insurance? -- Is it too late to do that ... I already reported the claim... but I'm not sure they filed anything under collision yet, or at what point they will in this process. If I don't decide to get the car fixed, will they still file the claim as collision if it gets appraised and the repair shop reports that the damage was caused by a collision (probably) -- I can't exactly ask the insurance company how this will work.

What do you all think? I really need advice here. Thanks!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, whoever left the big effing pipe sticking out should pay for it. Fix the car, sell it for a few hundred to pay moving costs b/c you should just move.

eemusings said...

Umm - where exactly did this pipe come from??

Don't rush into anything huge like selling your car or moving - that's just going to lead to way too much unnecessary stress, and you don't need that on top of a new job.

It sounds like the pipe damage does need to be fixed. Can you find out how much that would cost you? Personally, I would try to cover those costs myself, and have insurance take care of the other repairs.

me in millions said...

I would look into pricing for fixing it and if it is too much (aka more than the car is worth), I'd start looking into replacing the car.
I think getting the car fixed through your insurance is just going to raise your rates in the future.

Garry Brei said...

How did you finally fix the damages and managed the cost? You gotta weigh the pros and cons between paying for the repair costs yourself and getting the insurance to cover it, as well as keeping and selling the car. If you were able to list them and project the costs and effects in the future, then that would also be helpful.

Post a Comment