Aug 16, 2007

Cars are EXPENSIVE

Finally brought my car in to get checked out today. That's after getting into an accident (a spin-out, I didn't hit anyone, but figured I should ask a professional why my car has been shaking a bit since) and hitting a deer (broken headlight. would thank the deer for the car alteration, but he's dead.)

Anyway... it turns out that my car needs about $1500 in repairs. Yikes. This is my first car and I'm not sure what to do about it. At first the mechanic told me that it would be $3000 in repairs and I kind of freaked. But then he figured out the timing belt actually was changed at 108k before I bought the car (some sticker was missing or something) so somehow that made the $1500 repairs seem "cheap."

Today I got my front breaks fixed. That, including the inspection and an oil change, cost me $598. I still have to get my smog checked and pay my registration fee and insurance. I think that was due 15 days ago. Oops. Should send that check in soon. Late fees love me. Or maybe I secretly deep down love late fees. (No, I don't think so.)

I can't believe how much money I've been spending lately. -- I don't want to even think about how my mutual fund and Roth IRA are doing right now. Don't get me wrong, I check every day, and I'm down about $600 (EEK) but I'm trying to sit tight and tell myself if the markets can be this shitty they can also be the opposite. I'm hoping that's true. Still trying to figure out this whole deal with the subprime mortgage lending stuff that screws over the stock market. Have been reading a bit about it but I'm still a bit confused. I'll figure it out eventually.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the stock market. The subprime mess is only giving cause for panic and selling. The losers are selling low right now. The winners are BUYING at bargain prices. If you get out now, you will definitely be a loser.

Janet said...

I spent $800 after my dad bought a used '03 Camry for $2500 so I could have a car during my internship. There was $600 for the brakes and another $200 to replace the radiator which solved my leaking coolant problem.

And I've spent a few thousand on other repairs - little things that add up here and there such as the battery and timing belt replacement (those are so damn expensive).

To make matters worse - someone threw a rock and the front window is slightly cracked so my dad's going to have to replace the entire piece.

I definitely feel your pain.

Post a Comment