Aug 2, 2007

I've Been a Bad, Bad Girl

This is why it is a bad idea to live next door to a mall:

9am: Wake up, realize I have no clean clothes to wear to a work event in the afternoon.
10am: Ponder doing laundry, but fail to find clothes (that aren't dry-clean only) that would be appropriate for said event.
11:20am: set off to the mall to find one outfit ($100 max) to purchase for work.
12:30pm: return home with $370 in clothing purchases including: 2 pairs of pants, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 1 nice button down shirt, 1 cute random $70 bright blue shirt that would be good for, uh, clubbing (do I ever go clubbing?), and 1 sweater.
12:40pm: Put on jacket, t-shirt, and pants, and head out to work event.

Anyway... I'm now trying to figure out if I should return anything. Obviously I can't return what I wore yesterday. I really like the sweater from Express... and it wasn't too expensive so I'm going to keep it. Really the only items I could return are the $40 bright blue button down, short-sleeve shirt and the gray dress pants, also from Express. But I always manage to not have any pants to wear. I should return the shirt. I don't even know if I'll ever wear it. I'm still upset with myself for buying a dress --on sale--at Macy's a year ago and then never wearing it and managing to not attempt to return it until it was too late to make the return. That's $53 down the drain.

In any case, I shouldn't have spent $370 on clothes! That's ridiculous and I know it. But clothes make me happy. I'm an addict. And I've decided that buying things on sale is a waste... because then I always buy things (like that dress) and never wear them. Well, the jacket I bought yesterday WAS on sale (for $60, compared to its $173 original price tag) but... my new rule is to buy clothing that I am in love with at the store, because i know i'll get a lot of use out of it. For instance, the $70 purple shirt and $160 jeans I bought last month have already been worn... a lot. I try to buy machine wash and dry clothes now, since my dry-cleaning bin is filled up and I'm too stubborn to spend $100+ getting it all washed. Of course that would be cheaper that going out and buying new clothes.

Hmm. So I think I have a shopping addiction. And it's pretty bad. I'm depleting my savings, even while making $50k a year. How is that even possible?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. You're right. Not good. It sounds like you need to take a long, hard look at how you are handling your money. There will always be lots of fantastic new things you could buy, but if you keep doing that, you won't have money for the big things you want. You can do this, but it will take willpower and a plan. How are you budgeting now? Maybe an allowance system, where you know you have $X to spend on clothes each month would be helpful.

Also, may I recommend you check out thrift stores? It can be a great way to indulge for very little money.

PayingForPlaying said...

I am - or should I say WAS - addicted to shopping as well. I'm two months into my debt paydown and have only managed to purchase two pairs of jeans - a purchase I very well thought through (amazingly enough). Please view my blog - I'm blogging about my debt journey. I even posted about my jeans purchase :) I probably will be updating soon as I am about to log on to jcrew.com to find a dress on clearance (reading your macy's story made me remember to do that - I'm not sure if that's good or bad - hehe)!

Post a Comment