Nov 30, 2007

Hello December

I can't believe it's already almost 2008. Seriously, wasn't New Years for 2007 just yesterday? It's kind of scary how fast life starts going by once school isn't around to make everything go sooooo slowly. I want to figure out a way to slow life down. Now that I'm 24 (oh yea, I turned 24 a week ago, happy birthday to me) I need to somehow figure out how to make each day count just a bit more.

Thank goodness my job situation is starting to piece together into a picture I like. Freelancing with steady contract work is obviously the ideal situation for me.

Right now I have three steady gigs, plus some random projects thrown in. My logic is that each extra project I take on is more money I can save, while my steady work is generally for bills and such. Any extra money from my 'steady' work goes into savings, either my IRA or some other savings account that I need to set up.

My jobs:

Writing for a Company -- 30 hours per week, 3 months, $3300 a month
Assisting at another Company -- 5-10 hours per week, $25 per hour
Steady work from uncle's marketing business -- $400 a month retainer

So, I imagine that should turn out to something like $3900 a month. Take taxes out, it's down to maybe $2800? Then take out $1050 for rent, $200 for bills - phone, internet, TV, gym membership) and $200 for health insurance and potential medical bills. That leaves me with, um, about $1300 for food, entertainment, gas, etc. If I'm lucky, that'll be enough to save some money too.

What I want to save for...

$3000: Laser Hair Removal.
$1000: Digital SLR camera + lense and accessories
$100,000: Grad School

Time to start saving!



0 comments:

Post a Comment