Oct 12, 2008

Sequoia says RIP, How Worried Should I Be?

I'm trying really hard not to worry about this whole financial "crisis." I'm young(ish) and resilient, as are my stocks, as is my career, and I'm in a much better place than all the baby boomers who are currently watching their 401k's break even after years of saving... or worse.

Me? I have a job. It's more stable than not, though after the latest Sequoia report came out it's looking more and more like if I don't have the skills to hack it at a web startup, I'm going to be toast. Or dust. Or dust-buttered toast. I'm nervous.

More than anything, I wish I had some serious skills - like computer programming. Then I'd be able to do something useful. But I know that I have to do a lot to prove that I'm useful over the coming months, or it will be my head on the chopping block.

Working for a startup, I've always assumed any day could be my last. That's the joy of working for a startup... even if the markets are doing great, you could be unemployed tomorrow! :)

I really wonder what the Silicon Valley shakeout will look like in the coming years. During my brief stint in business journalism, one thing I saw was how many silly companies were getting millions of dollars just because they happened to have a persuasive CEO. It's totally a bubble, and with the latest turn in the economy, it's certain to burst. I'm trying to just hold my breath and hope for the best. Again, I'm young, and this won't last forever. I just hate that I'm trying my darndest to save and I'm still losing money. Bah.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel about having a 'hard skill' like programming.

I too am finding it hard to not lose money now and it is scary.

Anonymous said...

oh man, totally with you on the whole "start up" gameplan :) i've been waiting for our company to sell for a year now! haha...one day, one day.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I wanted to give you this link to check out http://revlu.com/zc.htm. I wrote you last week saying I feel you should remove your money from the bank& you wrote back that that would be a loss. I really believe you you will lose it all if you don't. The link tells of some phophecies & they are happening now. You may just think I'm crazy too, but I'm not. Blessings. Lisa stargazer43008@yahoo.com

Post a Comment