Mar 24, 2009

A Look at VGMIX (Vanguard Mid-Cap Growth Fund)

While I have a fairly good idea of what's going on in my Sharebuilder account, it makes me uncomfortable to have no idea of what stocks my index funds are invested in. So every once in a while I plan to research my funds and see what stocks are in them.

I randomly decided to invest in VGMIX in a taxable account. Maybe a bad idea. Since I'm maxing out my Roth IRA currently with two vanguard accounts -- Retirement 2050 and the Total Stock Index funds, I needed some place else to put my money. Perhaps all the rest of it should somewhere else.

VGMIX lost 47% last year (yikes.) So much for growth.

As of Dec 31, 2008...

VGMIX had:

231 stocks
$4.0B Median Market Cap (what does this mean?)
Price/Earnings Ratio 13.0x
Price/Box Radio 2.3x
Yield:
Investor Shares: .6%
ETF Shares .8%
Return on Equity 20.2%
Earnings Growth Rate 26.0%
Foreign Holdings 0%
Turnover Rate 54$

Sector Diversification

Consumer Discretionary 13%
Consumer Staples 3.9%
Energy 8.1%
Financials 5.0%
Health Care 17.5%
Industrials 22.8%
Information Technology 19.5%
Materials 4.9%
Telecommunication Services 2.1%
Utilities 3.1%

Largest Holdings (approx 1% each):

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Inc (air freight)
Fluor Corp (construction and engineering)
Laboratory Corp of America Holdings (healthcare)
Expeditors International of Washington (air freight)
Humana Inc. (managed healthcare)
Rockwell Collins (aerospace and defense)
AutoZone Inc. (automotive retail)

Apparently a fund provides a complete list of its holdings four times a year, as the quarter ends.

I hold a very little bit of a lot of different companies. Then there is a lot of other information that I do not understand. Hmmph.

Even if investing in single stocks freaks me out, I do like knowing what I'm investing in.

Speaking of investing in solo stocks and ETFs, I just bought more of COMV and IHI today. I hope that was a good idea. I feel like COMV maybe has great potential but I just don't know enough to say. It's in a good space that I believe has potential, but when it comes to the company's ability to make a profit - I have no idea. I do know that they were down to $3 a share a few months ago and now they're at $7. I'm still upset that I didn't buy more when they were at $3.



0 comments:

Post a Comment