Dec 22, 2009

My 2009 Health Spending and HSA Account Report

This was the first year I had an HSA Account along with a high deductible health insurance plan. It's worked out ok, though to be honest I'm still unsure if I'm doing this all right. I made some last-minute transfers from my account to reimburse myself for medical spending and glad I did it today, because I found out that I can only transfer $500 per day and I needed to take out the same $2000 that I just transfered in.


The biggest stumble with my HSA this year was my accidental over contribution (excess contribution), as I transferred $2000 into the account completely forgetting that my work would be putting in another $100 before year end, putting my account $100 over the legal limit for the year. Oops.


I'm still not sure how that is going to pan out... I'll probably just be extra taxed on that $100 which sucks but it will be a few bucks (hopefully) and I know better for next year.


My medical expenses this year beyond what was covered by insurance were pretty costly...


Vision

$134.95 eye exam

$429 13 month supply of contacts


Dentist

$761 deep cleaning 4 quadrants and oral cancer screen


Mental Health

$710 -- group therapy 1 month, one psychiatrist appointment, one career counselor appointment, 2 individual therapy (group screening) appointments


Acupuncture

$250 -- 2 visits and herbs


Gynecologist

$200? -- ultrasound to see that yes, I still have many cysts on my ovaries and office visit to discuss this (all during my supposedly "free" yearly checkup


Foot Problems

$195 -- this was either for my one visit to the podiatrist or the xrays, I'm unclear which but I probably owe more.


Monthly Health Deduction: $20 (x 12 = $240)


Total Health Costs this Year: $2919.95

- $1200 (employer contribution to HSA)

My Approx 2009 Health Expenses: $1719.95




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! What would you have had to spend on health care costs (including insurance) if you would have had a low deductible health care costs? Plus you got tax benefits of the HSA. Hope you are in good health next year.

www.clarioncare.com

Jerry said...

It's good you could add more to your plan. We could only have $1000 in ours according the insurance plan we had at the time. And, we used every last cent. Paying medical expenses yourself leads you to see exactly how much you really spend. It's pretty eye opening. Good luck on the outcome of all of your appointments.
Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com

Post a Comment