Feb 1, 2010

Back to the Start: I got laid off.

After two-and-a-half years at one company, my tenure comes to an end. My boss met with me this morning and told me that due to restructuring, I have to be let go. I pretty much expected that and was surprised I lasted so long. What I didn't expect was how nice he was in terminating my employment... and how bad he felt about it. Which didn't really make me feel "good," but it was nice to know that I am leaving on the best possible terms.

So much for my grand plan to save $20,000 this year. I'll be lucky if I can break even. More importantly, I need to figure out what on earth to do next. I've got some serious thinking to do. Lucky me, I have all the me time in the world to think about it. I'd really like to not just jump into anything... and that may be tempting... so hopefully I can land on my feet in the end, and soon.

In the meantime I'm getting one month's severance (definitely didn't expect that), two month's health insurance, and most importantly of all, positive references for the future. I can get through this, I just want to make the right choice for the coming months and years... and I have no idea (yet) what that will be.



13 comments:

Anna said...

Wow! I'm sorry you got laid off, even if you were expecting it. Good lucking with everything!

Anonymous said...

Bummer....I know how you feel though, got laid off on Friday, actually. The worst part is having so many options. If I knew I only had one or two choices, it'd be a lot easier.

Ida Davidson said...

My husband got laid off on Thursday, so we know exactly where you are. We're hearing really great things though, and in only 3 week days of looking, my husband has 4 job interviews. I think this is a sign that the economy really is turning around.

I'm really glad to hear that they gave you a small severance and the insurance will be a big help. We're sending you good thoughts from this end.

myprettypennies said...

Oh no! :( I am so sorry to hear this news. I wish you the best of luck as you look for what's next. It may be hard, but try to enjoy this extra free time. Good luck!

me in millions said...

Sorry to hear your news. It sounds like they still think highly of you... severance and health benefits is pretty nice.

Investing Newbie said...

Sorry to hear about your layoff! However, this is a great opportunity to do some quality reflection about your future and making your next step count.

Morning Noon Evening said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your lay off. That's never easy to go through despite how prepared you are (mentally, emotionally, financially). The only bright side is that you have absolutely freedom to choose what direction you want to take next with your professional life.

SeeJaneGetRich.com said...

What a great opportunity to really refocus on what you really want to do and what will make you the most happy.

I am sorry to hear about the layoff but excited about what's to come.

Life as a Purse said...

I agree with everything the above posters said - I'm sorry you've been laid off, but know you can make a fantastic turnaround from this and find something you love to do even more. :)

eemusings said...

Sounds like you have a really positive attitude about it all. Good luck going forward!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you got laid off. At least it didn't come as a shock to you.

Regardless though, keep your head on straight, take some time for yourself, and figure out the next stage of your life.

In your position, the possibilities are endless.

Stephen @ ACE Prepaid Debit Card said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Since you are already blogging, you might want to take a look the various opportunities online. Setting up an online store perhaps or freelancing.

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping to give something back and
aid others like you aided me.

My web blog cheap commercial car insurance []

Post a Comment