Feb 15, 2010

Can't Sleep Tonight

It's been about two weeks since I've lost my job, which may be why I'm starting to slip into a state of freaked out / depression over the entire situation. It's not that I'm depressed over losing the position, more so I'm terrified of how long it will take me to find something new. My experience is just so all over the map, with tasks completed that offer no means of quantifying the results.


So I've been spending the last 3 hours sending out cover letters and resumes to positions that seem remotely interesting. I'm not at the point yet where I'll just apply for anything, though soon that point will come. And even then there's plenty reason to believe I won't get interviews or hired.

Worst case scenerio, I guess, is I have 6 months unemployment then live cheaply and use my emergency fund to last the rest of 2010 / 2011, all while applying for grad school and hopefully getting in with loans to support me through the coming two years. After that, maybe the job market will look up, or maybe I'll actually be qualified for a job I want to do.

In the meantime, I'll continue to freak out about this lacking a job situation.



4 comments:

Investing Newbie said...

Do not freak out. It is extremely counterintuitive to your situation. Unless it is the driving force behind you looking for jobs/applying to gread schools. Then FREAK OUT! But until then, take your unemployment as an opportunity to spend time doing something for you. That doesn't mean spend all day in bed, but also spending time looking for new opportunities and expanding your perspective (something you can't really do at a desk all day...)

mapgirl said...

Hey there, sorry to hear about the job loss. Whatever you do, don't freak out. Just have a plan. Document what you've done so that you can see that you've been doing what has to be done.

BTW, as you were being terminated, did you ask your manager if he would be a reference for you? It sounds like he thought well of you and didn't want to let you go. If so, use that resource in your job hunt and be sure to thank him for his time with a note.

Take the time to make yourself the strongest candidate you can be and focus on the small victories out there.

Good luck!

SeeJaneGetRich said...

Keep applying to those jobs and keep your chin up. Get your self a game plan with alernatives and stick with it. Best of luck! As always, I am rooting for you.

eemusings said...

Try not to focus on the worst. I know two weeks feels like a lifetime at this stage, but it isn't! Stay strong and stay calm, keep plugging away like you've been doing.

Post a Comment