Feb 29, 2008

What Does a Multi Millionaire Look Like?

I pose the question as repeats of Patti Stanger's "Millionaire Matchmaker" plays in the background. Immediately I picture someone dressed extravagantly, lounging in their decadent home, trying to figure out what to do with their time.

But, hello reality check. I seem to work with a few multi millionaires. I should have kind of figured that out (duh me) from the beginning, but I guess I'm a bit slow. Figuring this out doesn't change my opinion of them at all (as I mentioned a bunch of times before, I really love the people I work with. The more I get to know them, the more I like the bunch!)

It's just kind of crazy to me. Here I am at 24, feeling guilty for making $57k a year, give or take, and I'm working with people who, by the time they were in their mid-20s, already had, oh, a few hundred million dollars in the bank. At the least, it makes me stop feeling so damn guilty about wanting to make more money.

The cool thing about working for people who were so successful in the past is that you know they're working for passion. My company is run by a lot of really successful people and I look up to all of them. It's kind of crazy that I was just a wee little high schooler back when they were all making an internet product that I used frequently. And now, here I am, sitting in the same office as these brilliant folks, giving them my opinion on things.

I'm not quite sure what they all think of me. I really want to do a good job at this company, and to prove myself. I don't think I'll personally become a millionaire at this job, heck, I gave up any stock options on my latest contract in order to raise my monthly income by another few hundred dollars. I'm not complaining, really, it's just that it's tough for a... copywriter and community manager... to be valued in the same way, say, an IT person would. Which makes total sense -- IT skills, esp top-notch IT skills, are worth a fortune. Copywriters are a dime a dozen. I think I'm a pretty good copywriter. I think I've found the right type of job for me.

My favorite part of my job is that I actually get to collaborate with people. Being a journalist was so damn lonely. I had to talk to people I didn't know, which made me super anxious, and then the people I did know had no time to talk or work together to create something new. Now? If we're all hitting a brick wall in the office in terms of new ideas, we'll go into a conference room, down some candy and throw out ideas until we come up with something good.

That's what I love. Being part of that collaborative process. There's nothing better.

Anyway, I just realized that not only do I work with a bunch of rich people, I work with a bunch of multi-millionaires. I mean, I don't know how much they all are worth, and that's really none of my business, but the point I'm getting at is that you'd never know just by meeting these folks. They're so laid back, t-shirt and jeans types. I hope that if I ever do become successful, on whatever level, I'll be able to remain as humble and grounded as they are.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, I feel exactly the opposite way about being a journalist. I love talking to new people all the time, and my wider range of contacts and sources outside the office, in addition to my great co-workers. I always thought I'd feel claustrophobic in a typical office job.

Post a Comment