Jan 1, 2009

Hello 2009

I just opened up my Google Doc spreadsheet tracking my various accounts and realized that my 2007-2008 sheet is officially complete. Even though my spending habits weren't perfect last year, it was the first year of my life where I tracked my finances, and can learn from my mistakes.

There were moments when I spent foolishly in 2008, which is why my overall networth has gone down (not to mention all my stocks taking a nosedive with the market) - but I resolve to be smart about my spending in 2009.

If I can keep a steady job, there is no reason that I can't save $10 - $20k in one year (including $5k for my Roth IRA). My rent costs are low (finally), I'm working a job where I can wear jeans and a t-shirt, so I don't need to spend on fancy clothes, and really my only major expenses should be to visit my family back east about twice a year (or more, since my dad has cancer and won't be around much longer.) But even with a few trips back east, I should really be able to save.

2009 is largely depending on whether my current position will turn full time or not. If not, there's a chance that not means I'm out of a job. I should be finding out about that this month. I'm slightly worried, though at the moment the whole situation is looking promising.

I really want 2009 to be a stable year financially and emotionally. I'd like to take all my urges to spend and instead use those to be healthy... to go for a bike ride, or to play tennis with my boyfriend. I always spend the most when I'm going through a depressive phase, and I'm hoping the depression is over and done with. I'm 25 now and I sort of have my life together. It's pretty crazy to say that, but it's true. Finally.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the blog will help to keep you honest about your spending. When you want to spend and realize you have to put it up here for everyone to see it might shame you into thinking twice.

That is what happens to me...coz when I spend foolishly, I get emails from my regular readers. I don't know those people but the tongue lashing is bad.

Post a Comment