Oct 11, 2009

Laser Hair Removal Update

I've been writing a lot about laser hair removal lately because it's one of the largest purchases I've ever made in my life, outside of my $7000 car. Part of me still feels like I shouldn't be spending the money -- it's much smarter to invest it, deal with shaving twice a day all my life, and that's that. But, I've come to the decision that now I am going to spend some money on myself, within reason. And of everything in the world I can spend it on -- vacations, jewelry, etc, I choose to spend my money on laser hair removal.

The one place I've been considering is giving me a really amazing package rate. $4000 for six treatments of basically everything except my face and arms. Which is like 76% off their single treatment rate. The normal discount as these places is maybe 40% off or for a special 50% off. All other places I looked at, at the cheapest for the same treatments, cost $5000 - $7000.

At first, I was very skeptical about this place. Why so cheap? That's always something I'm cautious about when paying people lots of money to burn my hair follicles. So I went in for a full treatment -- bikini and buttock (yes, there's hair there. I'm a fairly attractive girl but my hormones make me look like Godzilla without an OCD maintenance program.) I got them to give me a 20% discount off the price of the two treatments -- $460 total. That will apply to the full $4000 package if I decide to go for it, which I likely will. I just want to make sure my skin doesn't melt off in the next two weeks, and that the hair sheds properly.

I was impressed with the quality of treatment at this place. I've been to a more expensive laser spa and the nurse was like a typical doctor -- in and out, no time to waste. Not only that, but she burned me under my arm (I now have purple spots there the size of the laser, I hope they'll fade.) So I'm not sold that cost has anything to do with quality when it comes to laser hair removal.

Ultimately, it's how comfortable you are with the RN, and how comfortable the RN is with the laser. So this RN was really nice about everything, which was necessary when she was lasering in such delicate places. Yes, it was painful, esp behind the upper leg and inner thigh (youch!) but it's so worth it. For me, anyway. Even for all that pain, knowing I'll need 5+ more treatments in the same area for it to really do anything significant, and the reduction in savings I'll have this year. It's so worth it. I'm excited about the $4000 package and hope in the end I don't regret it. I haven't signed on the dotted line yet, but I've pretty much already paid 1/8th of it so it's silly not to go all in if I like the place and I'm going to get it done anyway. Right?

They do have Care Credit -- which gives 18 months free financing. I don't need it, but I might be better off paying a few hundred bucks a month vs all at once. I can also put it on my credit card and get air mileage, which could be nice too. I'll probably do that since I have the cash.



3 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I signed up for a care credit card when I had purchased my laser treatments. I paid it off a little every month and let the cash sit in a bank account gathering interest...but that was when ING was offering 4% interest.

her every cent counts said...

@SavingDiva - yea, it would be worth it if ING or any other bank for that matter had interest rates higher than, like, 1.5%. It's almost worth it more to just get the frequent flier points on my credit card.

John E. Torres said...

Electrolysis Hair Removal
Electrolysis involves inserting a
fine needle into the hair follicle
and applying an electrical
current to the follicle root.

see more --> http://laser-hair-removal-solve.blogspot.com

Post a Comment