Oct 8, 2009

My Expensive Right Foot

Let me start out by saying I have no idea how much my podiatrist visit yesterday is going to cost me. Granted, I try to not really include my HSA dollars in my networth, but I do, because it's my replacement 401k. But I think I just spent my entire deductible ($1500) in one day, thanks to some foot problems I've been having.

Doctor's aren't educated in how much things cost, and I think they need to be. Especially with the ways HSA's work. There should be a clear menu of pricing for various treatments. It's really unfair to expect the consumer to pay for everything without clearly letting them know how much it's all going to cost, or to order expensive xrays that may not be necessary without even mentioning that they will cost $500 or more.

Even now, I don't know how much yesterday's visit cost. I'm guessing I met my deductible with that one visit. I received a consultation, cortisone shot for a bone spur / nerve on my foot that was causing the problems, and a full set of xrays for my lower back to see if my sciatic pain and leg numbing problems are caused by any issues with my spine. On top of that, I got the ultrasound to check out my polycystic ovaries on Wednesday at my otherwise covered yearly checkup at the Gyn. In other words, after an entire year of not spending a penny on my healthcare, and saving in my HSA for retirement, I've likely spent it all and then some.



1 comments:

Mrs. Accountability said...

Ow, foot problems are the worst! I injured my right foot doing a Tae-bo workout with my son - lol, all I was doing was that squat thing where you bend your knees and stand still. I felt it pull and then I was limping for months. Mostly right after I woke up in the morning. I had to wear a brace on my foot for months and months while sleeping so it wouldn't heal wrong during the night. The podiatrist diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis and I still can't go barefoot. Hope yours is resolved quickly.

Post a Comment