Jan 26, 2008

Crap. I got pulled over.

I can't blame anyone else for this mishap. My registration expired... a while ago. However, I paid the $120 registration fee at the DMV (which, I think included a late fee) and was to get my smog checked by Jan. I had until Jan 1 to get my smog checked and get my stickers for my plates.

Of course, being the procrastinating idiot that I am, I waited a little too long to get this done. I received one ticket (for $35) for my expired registration while my car was parked in a public lot. So I finally got around to getting my smog checked THIS MORNING. I paid $90 for my smog check & an oil change that was overdue.

Ten minutes later, I was driving on the freeway and I got pulled over.

I showed the cop my smog receipt and the little registration card (that may or may not have been expired... I'm a bit confused about whether it expired on the 1st of the month, or at the end of the month.)

The worst thing was that somehow my insurance card had gone missing. I kept it in my glove compartment, but the robbers threw everything out of my glove compartment when they went through my car last month. I thought I had put everything back, but apparently my insurance information was missing.

So now I have this "notice to appear" paper that says that I have an infraction for an expired registration and it also notes that I did not have insurance on me, though neither the infraction or misnomer boxes are checked for that. I'm not sure what that means.

The cop said that I should get my sticker and then go to any police department with the paper. He didn't really explain whether I'm going to owe a zillion dollars or if I just need to prove that I'm actually registered to avoid paying.

This really sucks because today I decided I'm going to start being really tight on my budget and living with a minimal amount in my checking account. I figure I'll spend less if I pretend I have less to spend. Simple psychology ought to do the trick.

Except now I'm worried I'm going to get an overdraft fee because of all of these unexpected expenses. That'll teach me to stop procrastinating, eh?

I owe quite a bit of money for different things... $200 for health insurance... $150 for my cyst removal bill... $35 for my ticket... and now who knows how much more for this other ticket-type-thing.

Right now I have $600 in my checking account. I'm supposed to get paid Monday for my work... so that would bring me up to $3900. BUT I plan on putting $1000 of that in a special ING savings account for taxes. That leaves me with $2900, and I have to pay rent in a few days. So I'm at $1850. Not so bad, but after I pay all those bills, plus my phone bill, plus the cable/internet bill, plus the gym bill, plus buy a new phone in two days (my old one is lost and I am eligible for the discount on a new phone on Monday)... well, I won't have much money left for food.

At least this setup will keep me from spending money on clothes I don't need!
At least that will keep me from



5 comments:

Ryan said...

Here (City and County of Honolulu), if you can show you have insurance you're off the hook. If you're not insured, however, that's the second worst thing to do with your driving record after DUI. FWIW, about 1/3 of all drivers here are uninsured (and 3/3 of all drivers who hit my truck are uninsured).-
Ryan
http://uncommon-cents.net/

Anonymous said...

I'd like to ditto Ryan's comment. If you can bring proof that you had insurance when you were pulled over, you may very well be fine.

SavingDiva said...

I hope that megan and ryan are right. Good luck!

sfordinarygirl said...

I paid $300 for not having my updated sticker when I was in Oregon. They issued me two tickets and a failure to appear because I had moved back to California by the time the ticket finally arrived. I was so pissed.

Will showing proof at the notice to appear reduce the fine?

her every cent counts said...

sf ordinary girl: I don't even know if I'm getting a fine or not. The paper I got was unclear. The policeman said that I need to get the sticker, then go to a police station and show them. So I'm rather confused. I guess I'll find out this week after I go to the DMV.

Post a Comment