Jan 3, 2008

Death to COBRA and Car Thieves.

I have a follow-up to my last post regarding my saga with the doctor's office and the collection agency, but first I feel it is more important to rant a bit about my recurrent car break ins.

My apartment is in a safe neighborhood. Of course, no neighborhood is perfect, but I live in the fairly wealthy burbs of San Francisco. My exact area isn't exactly upper class, but it's a cute little apartment complex where I have the illusion of security.

I have a carport spot right under my apartment. Last year, around this time, thieves broke into my car (they smashed the window) and took about $80. You think I would have learned my lesson after my car got broken into twice in San Francisco, but I figured that in the burbs it was a different story.

After the thieves broke the window and stole the $80 they came back about once a week going through my things until I got the window fixed.

Following that incident, I decided to stop locking my doors and to keep valuables out of the car. It seemed smarter to let them go through my thing and find nothing than to smash the window every other week. I even signed up for the full comprehensive coverage for my insurance just because I knew that they might break the window again regardless. But it's just such a hassle to bring the car in to get fixed. I don't have the time. So I let them go through my car if they want.

After a year without any problems, I started getting slightly careless again. My fault. I put two checks in my car that I had planned on cashing today. One was for $50 the other $400. They were in a closed compartment. The car was a bit of a mess but nothing else valuable was in there (except at $180 jacket that I'm so glad they didn't take.)

So two nights ago they (or he or she) came and went through my stuff. They took $4 and the two checks and made a mess of everything. They made my car smell like smoke. I am not happy about this. But at least I don't have a broken window.

Now I have to deal with telling the two people who sent me those two checks (it just so happens they're married and my aunt and uncle) to cancel the checks. At least I found out they hadn't been cashed yet. I just feel awful asking my aunt & uncle to cancel the checks when the stupid thieves took them. But what can I do about it???

I'll update on the health insurance situation in a bit. I have to get back to work.



1 comments:

SavingDiva said...

That's rough! I'm worried about moving to a bigger city and dealing with break-ins...I've had a few friends that have had their cars stolen this year. Since my car isn't totally paid off, I'm a little worried about that happeneing to me...I would have to take out another loan to purchase another car...ugh!

Post a Comment