Jan 25, 2008

Stolen Credit Card

Did I mention that my car got broken into a month or so ago? I thought all that was stolen was $4 in cash and two checks (for $400 and $50). The $400 check was canceled and sent to me again. My aunt refuses to cancel the $50 check (that was a gift) because she thinks I'm stupid for leaving my car door open with the checks in it. Fair enough.

So... apparently I am really stupid because I must have left this Amazon.com Credit Card lying around in my car as well. I kept meaning to throw it out... I signed up for it on a win wim (I wanted to buy perfume, they had a $30 if you sign up for a card now deal, and I couldn't resist at the time). But I keep one credit card because I know how I get with bills in general (if I could put all my late fees into one investment account I'd be rich by now.)

Anyway, these crooks stole the card that I hadn't even activated. I didn't find out about it until today when I received a bill for the card. $103 of charges. Interestingly, all the charges are at a gas station about 30 minutes north of here. I guess my car thieves travel to my 'hood to break into cars at night. The fuckers.

The good news is that the customer service people were nice about it and won't make me pay for the charges, or so they say. I'll see about that in 14 days when I get the papers I have to sign, and then I'll find out if I don't have to pay it.

At least it was my credit card and not my atm card.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my Chase Amazon card stolen about 4 or 5 years ago, and they were great about the false charges. I just had to sign some paperwork saying they weren't mine. A few months ago, my sister had a random charge on hers, and she called and they took it off right away.

I'd say it's a very good bet that you'll also have no trouble. I have read a lot of things about people not liking Chase, but I couldn't be happier with their customer service.

Addy said...

Look, I hate to sound preachy, and this is said with the best intentions... but the only way you're going to avoid getting your car broken into again (and again and again and again) is by not leaving anything in there. Nothing valuable (checks, credit cards, iPod), but also nothing not valuable. Just leave your car empty. I've lived in the Bay Area for 18 years and on the Peninsula for 10 of them. I've also worked in Hayward and the city and lived in Berkeley, which are all a lot less safe than the Peninsula, and I've never had a car broken in to, so I must be doing something right...

Post a Comment